Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Have You Read This? Clown in a Cornfield by Adame Cesare

 


As a librarian, I am exposed to a lot of books. As a scary librarian, I am exposed to a lot of scary books, mainly, I’ll admit, because I choose to. But even a scary librarian cannot abide by just adult horror, and I thought it high time I broaden my horizons. That necessity to escape my typical reading choices, as well as the particular time of year, is why I’m looking at a young adult horror novel that should be scary for people of any age, Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare. And while the weather outside is turning colder, and the leaves crunching underfoot give way to frosted and frozen earth, this book is still a great read for any fan, young or old, who is a fan of the slasher genre.

The story takes place in the town of Kettle Springs, Missouri, which is all about traditional American values and Frendo, the mascot of the town and of the factory that used to be the town’s lifeblood. Quinn Maybrook and her father Glen move to scenic Kettle Springs with its miles of corn fields, a widening rift between the town’s teens and their parents, and a homicidal clown that wants to crash a teen party out in the cornfield. It was a fun party until Frendo came . . . and started killing. What begins as a teen party full of dancing and alcohol becomes a war between the younger and older generations of the town.

What initially drew me to this book was the plot, a throwback to the slasher movies of the ‘80s sprinkled with modern sensibilities. The kids that populate this world, however, aren’t as throwaway as many of the teens in those slasher flicks and that is to Cesare’s benefit. It would be very easy to merely narrate a slasher walking around and exterminating teens too stupid to know that being alone was a terrible idea. But Cesare doesn’t go for the simple homage; he creates an interesting story that’s full of teen angst but also gory fun. Those who might think that a young adult novel would mean it has less teeth than, say, a Stephen Graham Jones slasher, but Cesare doesn’t skimp on the brutality of the deaths. There are no convenient cutaways from the deaths to spare readers the gory details. Both teens and adults are dispatched in gruesome and creative ways. For my first foray into Young Adult fiction, I was glad to meet this killer clown, and I look forward to seeing where Frendo ends up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment